Monday, July 5, 2010

Howard’s Inner Circle, No. 16: Entries in My Black Book

Not sure all my readers know what a “little black book” is. Wiktionary defines the phase as “an address book, especially one in which the details of previous lovers are recorded.” Don’t think that applies to mine, a looseleaf binder with about 80 encased-in-plastic pages of quotes and paraphases from books I have read.

Periodically I reread my black book to see if what I captured still has value. Also, I revisit it when I feel out of kilter and want to achieve a better balance, or improve my interactions with others.

Here are five quotes that particularly caught my attention today:

“If I ask people what they think of me, they are usually polite. But if I ask them if they’d be willing to tell me what other people say about me, I give them the opportunity to say things without putting them in an awkward position of criticizing me to my face.”

“The word listen contains the same letters as the word silent for good reason.”

“You learn in life the only person you can correct and change is yourself.”

“The more innovative your ideas, the smaller the number of people who will understand it.”

“I know G-d will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish he didn’t trust me so much.

Maybe Wiktionary’s description as “an address book, especially one in which the details of previous lovers are recorded.” isn’t so far off. Without giving specific attribution, the five quotes are by Sam Horn, Katherine Hepburn, David Maister, Mother Teresa, and Harry Beckwith.

© 2010
*****************************************************************************
The above is from the newsletter, Howard’s Inner Circle, which periodically appears on the blog, “Instigator” at http://howardwolosky.blogspot.com/. It may be reproduced in full if that fact is stated and Howard Wolosky is credited as the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment